Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Yarn Problem - Math Problem

I have several left over skeins of wool yarn from Christmas gift projects and I'd like to use them. I decided that I would make a muffler for my husband. I'm a visual learner and problem solver so I made a quick little illustration. By the way, it's really easy to make simple-simple graphics by simply using Powerpoint and the set of rough drawing tools. This is how I made the image below.



I knit fairly evenly and regularly, so I think my numbers of stitches per inch will work okay. So now my next steps are to calculate how much yarn I need and then make sure my stripe color design will work out. Note, I tested how much yarn it takes to make and 8 inch row. I was lazy and didn't feel like doing the entire foot. I could easily solve this and determine how much it takes to make a foot by dividing the amount it takes to knit the 8 inches (40 inches of yarn/2=20 inches) and multiplying it by 3. So it takes 60 inches to knit a one foot row. Accordingly:

  • It would take 180 inches (or 5 yards) to make make a one yard row
  • It would take 360 inches (or 10 yards) to make a six foot row. Your average scarf is about 5-6 feet long.
Larger version of image:


Maybe I'll just make a 4 foot long scarf... after all it's just a muffler...I'll spend some time doing more calculations on the amount of yarn I'll need to make the muffler and then share them later.

No comments: